Widespread rain and winds hit Southern California, with mountain snow on the way, but the rain was not enough to disrupt the holiday weekend. Some locations had light rain and snow at 2 p.m. Monday, but most remained dry. The National Weather Service forecast is currently calling for a mix of rain and scattered snow showers for the first half of Tuesday, with a 30 percent chance of snow and a 20 percent chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon, after a slight change to the rain chance.
The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm watch for the mountains from Monday to Wednesday, with a slight chance of snow Thursday morning. The mountains are likely to accumulate snowfall of 2 to 4 inches, but it’s uncertain if accumulation will be anywhere near the 4 inches predicted earlier this week. But it’s also possible to have a storm that will bring 2 to 4 inches before midday Wednesday. A winter storm watch applies to valleys between 3,000 and 4,500 feet and to the mountains above, including the San Gabriel Mountains.
Temperatures are expected to be in the upper 80s to lower 90s through the first half of the week with some scattered winter-like conditions on Wednesday. The high on Tuesday will be 78 degrees, while the low is expected to be in the early 50s.
The weather is expected to switch to a dry pattern for Thursday, with scattered thunderstorms and showers in the afternoon, but mostly dry skies during the day. A cold front will be traveling toward northern California on Thursday. There’s a slight chance of showers Thursday morning, with a chance of thunderstorms after noon. There’s a 30 percent chance of a 20 percent chance of a storm early on Friday, but then a 50 percent chance of a 20 percent chance of snow and a 30 percent chance of rain. Heavy rain is possible in the evening. The cold front is expected to come through by noon Friday or early on Friday, bringing wind, snow and rain to the Southern California area, including Northern and Central California.
The storm system has the potential for snowfall of 1 to 4 inches and winds of up to 30 mph. The National Weather Service has issued winter storm warnings and a winter storm watch for the mountains.
There is a 1.4 percent chance of precipitation across the region, with an additional 1.3 percent chance of snow across the mountains. Precipitation has a 1